Monday, January 26, 2015

Kek Batik

I joined an event recently and everyone had to bring a dessert that represent their own country.

Kek Batik may not be a true representation of Malaysian's dessert as it is only known around East Malaysia and Indonesia. Being a Sarawakian, it does represent my culture. Yup, Sarawak is just slightly different.

It has been awhile since I made them or eat them as those are not the usual ingredients I would stock in my kitchen. Having a cleaner diet is part of my excuse, which failed miserable when I feel like trying new recipes. Hahaha....

I copied this recipe from somewhere many years ago and added + reduced some ingredients to suit my taste bud. I do not like desserts that are overly sweet and I reckon this is the best combination I had so far and the most successful Kek Batik I had ever made.





100 g            Milo
25g               Cocoa Powder
125ml           Boiling water
190g             Butter, cut into large chunks
200g             Sweentened condensed milk (I used skimmed this time)
100g             White granulated sugar/caster sugar
6 eggs           Lightly Beaten
1/2tsp           Vanilla extract (Optional)
250g             Arnott's Marie Biscuit/Arrowroot biscuit



  1. Roughly break the biscuit into quarters.
  2. Add boiling water to milo and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Stirring vigorously until it is smooth. Add butter, sweetened condensed milk, sugar, lightly beaten eggs and vanilla to the saucepan.
  3. Place over moderate heat and cook. Stirring all the time with a whisk or a spoon until you feel the bottoms starts to thicken about 5 minutes.
  4. Turn heat down to low and continue to cook, stirring non stop for about 20mins or until a thick custard forms.
  5. Transfer it to a big mixing bowl, add biscuits, Mix well.
  6. Transfer into a tin lined with baking paper, bang a few times to avoid having air pockets. Let cool.
  7. Cover the top baking paper, chill in the fridge overnight. 

A sneak peep of what others made. My favourite was the Aussie dessert-->TimTam Tart! Yum!